Structure of Tasks:
You will be required to review the most common grammatical and stylistic problems found in thesis and dissertation writing. You will complete online reviews. Then, you will be asked to review your own drafts and to make revisions.
Capitalization and abbreviation consistency
Citation style for earth sciences (Geological Society of America or AAPG can be used as a guide)
Active voice (avoiding passive voice)
* Go to Grammar Bytes and review the contents
* Complete Exercises 1--5 which deal with comma splices and fused sentences. Please review the rules.
* Complete the Sentence Fragment exercise linked here.
* Review your drafts and revise them so that they are in active voice as much as possible: Please refer to Section 2.2 in NASA's Earth Observatory Style Guide
* Carefully review and revise your drafts to identify and correct comma splices, fused sentences, or sentence fragments. Please feel free to collaborate with classmates and form review groups by emailing each other your work.
Purchase Geowriting, 5th edition (published by the American Geological Institute)
Sentence Fragment Review and Drills
Purdue Writing Lab Sentence Fragment Review
Writing Survival Guide
Apostrophe Review (Skillswise)
Getting the Tense Right (Skillswise)
Personal Pronouns (Skillswise)